Wednesday, September 5, 2007

[INSIGHT TRAVEL - EUROPEAN GRANDEUR] - Madrid, Day 2

DAY 9 - SEPTEMBER 8, 2000
MADRID, HOTEL ALGUNA
ROOM 134 (2143H)

It's the feast of the Virgin Mary's Nativity, and I popped off a postcard to Fr. Bob advising him of our current status. I hope the new folks in the Chapel office see fit to give it to him. Well, they had better. Our mail isn't that bad, yet!

A quiet day today, lots of sleep and rest. Woke up late; breakfast became brunch, then a slow stroll in front of the hotel so the cleaners could get to our room.

City tour at 1500H, but somehow Madrid lost a lot of its beauty in the harsh Castilian sun. The Palacio Real was lovely, if stuffy -- and what a wonder to see the little circle with the mythical representation of the Philippines, decorating the ceiling of the State Dining Room!

(I should have brought Rizal's "Ultimo Adios" as my declamation piece, if I'd know I'd be having this much fun on the tour.)

At the Palacio Real, had a short conversation in Spanish with one of the security guards, who asked if I had any Philippine money for his collection. Since I was not about to give him any of my paper bills, I told him I'd left all my local money at home. Made a quick exit too.

A quick round about various city landmarks, and all the equestrian monuments one could hope for -- especially Carlos III, the Habsburg ruler. Passing for one last look at the Plaza Real, had a chance for a better look at the Museo del Jamon. Yes, there is indeed a store called the Museum of Ham, and goodness what an appetizing array they've got hanging in the window.

Dinner tonight was at the hotel -- club snadwiches that were pracically mini-salads all by themselves. Chunky chicken bits, not chicken mayo spread. Yum! So now, all the bags are organized, and we're all set for the trip to Barcelona tomorrow. I finally forsook my pants for one of my skirts, and we'll see where that leads to on the trip.

There was this nice man -- something like the hotel majordomo, I guess. Was it something in my face that he liked, I wonder; last night at dinner he winked at me and today when we left the breakfast room he patted my arm. Postively paternal about it, too. One of the few staffers who actually smiled, come to think of it!

Have resolved to keep this logbook updated starting tomorrow. Must remember to jot down that I had a chance to teach Dmitri how to say "good afternoon" in Spanish, which surprised him no end. After our city tour, he then surprised me by dashing down the length of the bus to help mom down. Well, he's being so nice as to let us load our heave hand luggage in his locker -- and he makes a good team with Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment